Our Turn activates the next generation of diverse civic leaders who know what’s possible for all students because they’ve built power in their communities through leadership development, grassroots organizing, and movement building. In the past few months, our work and members have been recognized by Fast Company, Buzzfeed, Teen Vogue, and more. We are seeking a dynamic Senior Director of Operations and Finance to ensure that our full and part-time staff, Fellows, and members have strong “behind the scenes” support to do their best work each day. The Senior Director of Operations and Finance will have a “people first” approach and is a key member of the leadership team, exercising a high degree of autonomy in developing and managing operational, finance, and HR systems with an emphasis upon clarity, efficiency, and compliance.
WHY WORK FOR OUR TURN?
We approach our work with the audacity of believing that students have the power to rewrite the rules of education in our country and the humility to know that thousands have come before us in this fight. We know that young people, especially BIPOC young people, have been shut out by decision makers who shape their educational experience and respond by providing transformational leadership development and grassroots organizing experience that flip the traditional power dynamic on its head. Our team is highly collaborative and works with urgency, passion, and — most importantly — a lot of joy. We create intentional spaces to build our relationships and set aside time to celebrate milestones, problem-solve together, or just share our latest Our Turn swag! We are looking for purposeful, entrepreneurial social justice activists to join us and continue the fight for educational equity.
- Lead Operations Team (inclusive of operations, HR, finance), creating quarterly and annual work plans aligned with measurable org-wide goals and direct all aspects of the team to achieve or exceed goals efficiently while building strong relationships across the full organization.
- Maintain constant bird’s eye view on what’s happening across the organization, anticipating operational and financial needs, and proactively formulating plans of action for the Operations Team to stay ahead of infrastructure needs and ensure all teams can operate efficiently and effectively.
- Actively participate in bringing a racial equity lens to all aspects of Our Turn’s work and ensure inclusive practices in all HR and operations functions.
- Lead org-wide vendor procurement processes and serve as primary administrator for key operational, HR, and finance platforms, including Paylocity, Google Workspace, banking institution, etc.
- Design and manage delivery of total rewards package for staff, including annual benefits review and enrollment, maintaining broker relationships, and ongoing analysis of benefits trends and creative options to strengthen Our Turn’s people first approach.
- Manage compliance and liability by ensuring organization meets all financial reporting and filing deadlines, maintains appropriate insurance coverage, and mitigates risk by following labor laws and liaising with legal counsel, as needed.
- Principally responsible for continually monitoring cash flow, managing organizational budget, and ensuring that Our Turn’s financial position remains strong, with significant support from part-time Director of Finance and Chair of the Finance Committee of the Board of Directors.
- Lead annual budgeting process and analysis of previous year’s spending.
- Directly manage part-time Director of Finance and full-time Manager of People Operations, ensuring that all operations, HR, and finance needs are met across the organization and coaches these team members to higher levels of performance and responsibility each year.
- Direct all talent acquisition, performance management, and professional development activities across the organization, with strong support from Manager of People Operations and the Management Team.
- In collaboration with CEO, facilitate annual goal-setting and strategic plan design across the Management Team, development of quarterly work plans, and ensure that organizational dashboard is regularly updated and analyzed.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships across the organization, especially with Management Team Members, to ensure trust and candor in critical conversations and decision-making processes.
- In collaboration with Manager of People Operations, monitor organizational culture and ensure that the team is finding joy in the work, utilizing their benefits, and regularly celebrating milestones and personal successes together.
- 6+ years of combined operations, HR, and finance experience, with at least 4 years of direct budget and operational oversight.
- 4+ years of experience directly managing full-time staff and a proven track record of developing talent internally.
- Discretion with sensitive personnel matters, proprietary business information, etc.
- Ability to influence laterally and manage up while maintaining strong working relationships.
- Experience creating and managing budgets of $1M+.
- Experience designing and implementing an organizational strategic plan with a time horizon of 1 year+.
- Experience planning and facilitating or coordinating professional development activities.
- Experience working in a remote, multi-state work environment.
- Strong relationship builder with excellent soft skills.
- Comfort and desire to work across lines of difference and experience implementing inclusive and equitable practices in a nonprofit setting.
- Alignment with Our Turn’s Student Agenda: https://www.itsourturn.org/student_agenda
- Works easily with ambiguity, can change pace quickly, and can start moving a project forward even before all of the details are figured out
- Self-starter who loves to learn and is always curious about how make things work better
- Wholly people-focused with understanding that not everyone needs the same thing to do their best work and a desire to make HR and operational systems effective for all team members
- HR experience or combination of operations and HR experience (SHRM or PHR certified preferred, but not essential)
- Experience using HRIS (Paylocity preferred, but not essential)
- Experience administering or directing employee benefits
- Experience managing or directing end to end talent acquisition
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The salary range for this position is $90,000 - $105,000. A comprehensive benefits package is included with employer covering 85%+ of healthcare premiums. Benefits include: health, dental/vision, FSA, retirement with employer match, unlimited PTO.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
Our Turn encourages individuals of all identities and backgrounds to apply for this position and is committed to recruiting a team that reflects the diversity of our student movement (BIPOC, members of the LGBTQIA community, first generation college students). Our Turn does not discriminate against any applicant because of race, color, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, nation of origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, parenthood, or any legally protected class.
HOW TO APPLY
Fill out an application and upload your resume. Applications will be accepted until the position has been filled. Please email [email protected] with any questions or requests for accommodations. We’re happy to help!