Our Turn activates the next generation of diverse civic leaders who know what’s possible for all students because they’ve built power in their communities through leadership development, grassroots organizing, and movement building. In the past few months, our work and members have been recognized by Fast Company, Buzzfeed, Teen Vogue, and more. We are seeking a mission-centered Senior Director of External Affairs to advance the movement by securing revenue and developing an innovative fundraising program. The Senior Director of External Affairs will serve on our Management Team and partner with our Growth, Communications, and People teams to strengthen Our Turn’s sustainability, impact, and culture.
WHY WORK FOR OUR TURN?
We approach our work with the audacity of believing that students have the power to rewrite the rules of education in our country and the humility to know that thousands have come before us in this fight. We know that young people, especially BIPOC young people, have been shut out by decision makers who shape their educational experience and respond by providing transformational leadership development and grassroots organizing experience that flip the traditional power dynamic on its head. Our team is highly collaborative and works with urgency, passion, and — most importantly — a lot of joy. We create intentional spaces to build our relationships and set aside time to celebrate milestones, problem-solve together, or just share our latest Our Turn swag! We are looking for purposeful, entrepreneurial social justice activists to join us and continue the fight for educational equity.
Fundraising Strategy and Execution (60%)
- Develop a development plan and dashboard that delivers on our $2.3M goal for FY23, with a pipeline for future increases that aligns with the upwards trajectory of the organization.
- Closely partner with the Growth team and youth leaders to identify key operational and programmatic needs, and map those needs to the fundraising strategy and landscape.
- Partner with the Manager of Development to manage a portfolio of Foundation and Individual donors, ensuring timely execution for all proposals and reports.
- Develop a strategy to diversify and expand our fundraising portfolio beyond traditional education donors, including foundations, grassroots donors, high net worth individuals, and corporations.
- Position the CEO to effectively manage donor pitches and relationships through research, writing, and outreach.
- Create compelling cultivation and stewardship plans for prospects and donors, and partner with the CEO to manage select relationships.
- Partner with the Chief Operating Officer and Director of Finance to provide a consistent and transparent view into revenue and cash versus our operating budget and expenses.
- Collaborate with the CEO to shape a fundraising culture on the Board of Directors.
- Identify and share donor insights with staff members and youth leaders.
Strategic Communications (20%)
Partner with the Communications team to:
- Develop and execute a donor-facing thought leadership strategy, including, but not limited to, events, reports, and stories.
- Drive Our Turn’s placement at key events and conferences.
- Work across all teams to identify and distribute programmatic stories to key audiences.
Organizational Strategy and Culture (20%)
- Oversee a team including a Manager of Development and student fellows, and develop individual and team action plans that support professional growth for all members.
- Collaborate with the Management Team to design and implement the organization’s strategy, including strategic narratives, dashboard development and management, and team action plans.
- Work across all teams to shape a values-centered, anti-racist organizational culture, including ownership for select culture development initiatives.
- 5+ years of fundraising and partnership development experience, with a track record of securing $100,000+ gifts across multiple revenue streams, including, but not limited to, foundations and high net worth individuals.
- Experience raising revenue for 501(c)(4) operations is a plus.
- Significant organizational leadership experience, as demonstrated by guiding cross-functional teams to measurable outcomes.
- Achievement in developing marketing and communications tactics that advance goals with target external audiences.
- Mission-first leader who develops strategies and action plans in service of the organization’s theory of change and constituents.
- Strategic and compelling communicator with the ability to inspire and persuade audiences around the organization’s strategy, differentiation, and opportunity.
- Experience working in a remote, multi-state work environment.
- Strong relationship builder with a clear unity of purpose and generosity of spirit.
- Comfort and desire to work across lines of difference and experience implementing inclusive and equitable practices in a nonprofit setting.
- Alignment with Our Turn’s Student Agenda: https://www.itsourturn.org/student_agenda
- Works easily with ambiguity, can change pace quickly, and can start moving a project forward even before all of the details are figured out.
- Self-starter who operates with a growth mindset and curiosity, and won’t relent before they run through the finish line.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The salary range for this position is $100,000-110,000 A comprehensive benefits package is included with employer covering 85%+ of healthcare premiums. Benefits include: health, dental/vision, FSA, retirement with employer match, unlimited PTO.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
Our Turn encourages individuals of all identities and backgrounds to apply for this position and is committed to recruiting a team that reflects the diversity of our student movement (BIPOC, members of the LGBTQIA community, first generation college students). Our Turn does not discriminate against any applicant because of race, color, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, nation of origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, parenthood, or any legally protected class.
HOW TO APPLY
Fill out an application and upload your resume. Applications will be accepted until the position has been filled. Please email [email protected] with any questions or requests for accommodations. We’re happy to help!