Our Turn is proposing recommendations for comprehensive district design through a new report released in early 2020 with key findings from conversations with over 50 Minneapolis Public School (MPS) students and recent graduates.
While many Minneapolis parents have recently spoken out on the issue of equity in education, this is the first time the public has heard directly from MPS students about their lived experiences in local schools and concrete student suggestions for improvement. Students identified lack of teacher diversity, lack of access to advanced courses, and poor school facilities as barriers to quality education.
Based on these responses gathered during the 2018-19 academic year, Our Turn student organizers are seeking five specific actions by the board:
- Equitable access to advanced course offerings and up-to-standard facilities for students across the district
- Sustainable financial investment in schools across North Minneapolis
- More teachers of color who reflect the diversity of the students they serve
- New initiatives and transparent data to ensure every student is on track with reading by third grade
- Implementation of anti-bias training for all MPS adults to ensure teachers, staff, and administrators honor the limitless potential of all students
Signing this online petition will support the grassroots movement to propose direct recommendations for district design in Minnesota high schools and create a comprehensive model other states can follow.