Our Turn activates the next generation of diverse civic leaders who know what’s possible for all students because they’ve built power in their communities through leadership development, grassroots organizing, and movement building. In the past few months, our work and members have been recognized by Fast Company, Buzzfeed, Teen Vogue, and more. We are seeking a dynamic Manager of People Operations to ensure that our full and part-time staff, Fellows, and members have strong “behind the scenes” support to do their best work each day. The Manager of People Operations will have a “people first” approach and exercise a high degree of autonomy in developing and managing operational and HR systems with an emphasis upon clarity, efficiency, and compliance.
WHY WORK FOR OUR TURN?
We approach our work with the audacity of believing that students have the power to rewrite the rules of education in our country and the humility to know that thousands have come before us in this fight. We know that young people, especially BIPOC young people, have been shut out by decision makers who shape their educational experience and respond by providing transformational leadership development and grassroots organizing experience that flip the traditional power dynamic on its head. Our team is highly collaborative and works with urgency, passion, and — most importantly — a lot of joy. We create intentional spaces to build our relationships and set aside time to celebrate milestones, problem-solve together, or just share our latest Our Turn swag! We are looking for purposeful, entrepreneurial social justice activists to join us and continue the fight for educational equity.
- Maintain strong relationships across every team in order to understand unique needs of each functional area and build aligned systems. Be the trusted go-to person when questions or concerns come up related to the employee experience, culture, or how to get things done at Our Turn.
- Actively participate in bringing a racial equity lens to all aspects of Our Turn’s work and strive to set an example of inclusion in all HR and operations functions.
- Manage all aspects of Human Resources Information System (HRIS). Our Turn uses Paylocity.
- Manage Google Workspace and Formstack and provide ongoing troubleshooting support.
- Manage talent acquisition from end to end: creating and posting job descriptions, screening applications, tracking data, conducting interviews, preparing offer letters, managing onboarding, etc.
- Manage annual benefits enrollment (health, vision/dental, FSA, 403b) and provide ongoing troubleshooting support.
- Collaborate with the COO and Management Team to own and strengthen organizational culture, including leading or organizing relationship-building and professional development activities throughout the year.
- Pro-actively and continually research products, services, and vendors to ensure Our Turn is leveraging the best tools to do our work effectively at the most competitive rates. Manage or co-manage vendor relationships.
- Provide comprehensive project management (developing and managing tracker, following up with task owners, etc.) for org-wide initiatives, including national campaigns and large virtual or in-person events, as well as on-going maintenance of the org-wide dashboard.
- Facilitate weekly staff meetings and collaborate across teams to build meaningful agendas for each week.
- Collaborate with COO to plan for and manage all aspects of HR, including performance reviews, staff surveys, staff retreats, employee relations, job documentation, staff training, etc.
- Manage purchasing related to people operations or in support of local sites.
- Provide basic budget management for functional teams by tracking monthly expenses.
- 2-4 years of HR experience or combination of operations and HR experience (SHRM or PHR certified preferred, but not essential)
- Experience using HRIS (Paylocity preferred, but not essential)
- Experience administering employee benefits
- Experience managing end to end talent acquisition
- Comfort and desire to work across lines of difference and deepen organizational commitment to DEI, especially racial justice
- Works easily with ambiguity, can change pace quickly, and can start moving a project forward even before all of the details are figured out
- Self-starter who loves to learn and is always curious about how make things work better
- Wholly people-focused with understanding that not everyone needs the same thing to do their best work and a desire to make HR and operational systems effective for all team members
- Supervisory experience (preferred, but not essential)
- Comfort with basic budget management
- Experience facilitating small group and full team meetings and learning
- Alignment with Our Turn’s Student Agenda: https://www.itsourturn.org/student_agenda
- Experienced project manager
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The salary range for this position is $58,000 - $65,000. A comprehensive benefits package is included with employer covering 85%+ of healthcare premiums. Benefits include: health, dental/vision, FSA, retirement with employer match, unlimited PTO.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
Our Turn encourages individuals of all identities and backgrounds to apply for this position and is committed to recruiting a team that reflects the diversity of our student movement (BIPOC, members of the LGBTQIA community, first generation college students). Our Turn does not discriminate against any applicant because of race, color, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, nation of origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, parenthood, or any legally protected class.
HOW TO APPLY
Fill out an application and upload your resume. Applications will be accepted until the position has been filled. Please email [email protected] with any questions or requests for accommodations. We’re happy to help!