Storytelling is a powerful tool that gives people an opportunity to view communities and issues from a different perspective. It’s a critical component of community organizing and shapes every revolutionary social movement. Our Turn is seeking a Director of Marketing to raise awareness and communicate urgency around educational justice at a critical moment in our nation’s history.
Our Turn activates the next generation of diverse civic leaders who know what’s possible for all students because they’ve built power in their communities through leadership development, grassroots organizing, and movement building. In this role, you will rev the engines by deepening awareness and understanding of our new brand, building our presence as the nation’s leading collective voice of students, and implementing game-changing marketing and communications strategies. It will also be critical that you amplify the work of students in BIPOC communities through marketing practices that honor the experiences and voices of people of color and other marginalized communities. If you’ve been hungry to channel the latest innovations in marketing toward youth activism, this is the opportunity for you.
WHY WORK FOR OUR TURN?
We approach our work with the audacity of believing that students have the power to rewrite the rules of education in our country and the humility to know that thousands have come before us in this fight. We know that young people, especially young people of color, have been shut out by decision makers who shape their educational experience and respond by providing transformational leadership development and grassroots organizing experience that flip the traditional power dynamic on its head. Our team is highly collaborative and works with urgency, passion, and — most importantly — a lot of joy. We create intentional spaces to build our relationships and set aside time to celebrate milestones, problem-solve together, or just share our latest Our Turn swag! We are looking for purposeful, entrepreneurial social justice activists to join us and continue the fight for educational equity.
We believe that supporting, developing, and retaining our team is the most critical investment we can make for achieving bold outcomes. To ensure that our team is prepared and excited to do their job with excellence every day, we offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes: a performance-based culture with generous paid time off; flexible working environment; opportunities for internal and external professional development; health, dental, and vision insurance; retirement plan with an employer match.
- Create and implement a strategy to propel Our Turn as a go-to leader through a combination of earned media, content production, digital marketing, and design.
- Work with organizing and political teams to develop campaigns that elevate student voices, shift culture, and deliver wins.
- Steward our new brand - consisting of new messaging, visual identity, and enhanced communications touchpoints - by driving continued adoption and implementation internally and externally
- Shape and execute a game-changing thought leadership strategy that revolutionizes the public narrative around education, young people, and civic engagement.
- Spread the love by managing an innovative team of two and provide coaching to local staff on brand building, social media, public relations, and communications strategy.
- Advise the CEO and management team on media relations, public speaking, and crisis communications.
- Bring an anti-racist lens to our work and ensure that we are being intentional in our implementation of DEI practices.
- Other people walk the talk for you, as demonstrated by earned media success, brand presence at major events, successful social media campaigns, or other movement-building strategies.
- Proof that you’ve helped to move the needle for social justice initiatives - propelled by marketing and communications work - is a definite plus.
- Teams of direct reports, peers, and external consultants/vendors/contractors will follow your lead because you’re equal parts visionary and awesome.
- A belief in young people as the changemakers of now, and an ability to channel that belief into insights that strengthen marketing and communications activities.
- A collaborative working style that will draw young people into the education justice movement through inclusive communication that centers marginalized voices, honors intersectional identities, and prioritizes equity in representation.
- A relentless hunger for learning about the latest innovations in marketing and communications, and finding agile ways to bring them to life.
- You could’ve written this job posting better than us, because you’re an excellent communicator.
- Ability to create content, including press releases, in Spanish is helpful but not required.
- A commitment to anti-racism, as demonstrated by a strong desire to learn about and implement equity practices.
- Experience using media to address issues that directly impact BIPOC and other marginalized communities.
- Growth. We give and get a high volume of feedback and work relentlessly to improve.
- Voice. We exist to amplify the voices of our members and ensure that their experiences are a powerful force in the policy sphere.
- Tenacity. We set big goals, persist in the face of challenges, and commit to excellence.
- Audacity & Humility. We are willing to take risks, think big, and work hard to bring about transformational change, even while acting and listening with humility, respect, and empathy.
- Dignity. We commit to social justice work because we believe in the fundamental value of every child and person.
- Collaborative Leadership. We emphasize both personal growth and shared responsibility while investing in our greatest resource: our people.
Salary for this position is competitive and a comprehensive benefits package is included.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
Our Turn encourages individuals of all identities and backgrounds to apply for this position and is committed to recruiting a team that reflects the diversity of our student movement (BIPOC, members of the LGBTQIA community, first generation college students). Our Turn does not discriminate against any applicant for employment because of race, color, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, nation of origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, or parenthood.
HOW TO APPLY
Fill out the application here. You will be asked to upload a resume / CV and a one-pager about yourself, your interest in the role, and a paragraph about why we should watch or read your favorite TV show/movie/book of 2020. Applications will be accepted until the position has been filled, and the first review of candidates will begin the week of August 10th. Please email [email protected] with any questions or requests for accommodations. We’re happy to help!