About the Communications Fellow
The time for education justice has arrived. After generations of racial inequity in schools, we have reached a moment where increased political will, community demand, and resources can lead to the reimagination of education - but it can only happen if we elevate the voices and changemaking ability of students of color. At Our Turn, we have a responsibility to stand at the vanguard of the fight, and to walk the talk in how we carry out the work. To that end, the Communications Fellow will play a pivotal role in helping to strengthen storytelling and communications activities that advance Our Turn’s mission. You will engage in strategic conversations and tactical executions that will impact the future of Our Turn (and beyond), ensuring an active voice for young people at all tables. This role is an opportunity to gain professional development and insight into the digital movement building activity of a national organization, while owning critical projects that tangibly affect the education justice movement.
Why Work For Our Turn?
We approach our work with the audacity of believing that students have the power to rewrite the rules of education in our country and the humility to know that thousands have come before us in this fight. We know that young people, especially young people of color, have been shut out by decision makers who shape their educational experience and respond by providing transformational leadership development and grassroots organizing experience that flip the traditional power dynamic on its head. Our team is highly collaborative and works with urgency, passion, and — most importantly — a lot of joy. We create intentional spaces to build relationships and set aside time to celebrate milestones, problem-solve together, or just share our latest Our Turn swag! We are looking for purposeful, entrepreneurial social justice activists to join us and continue the fight for educational equity.
Digital Expansion & Creative Brand Development
- Conduct research on top trending content, stories, and breaking news
- Support the development and design of creative assets and content to support the digital expansion strategy including, (not limited to) LinkedIn, Tik Tok, Slack, and YouTube
- Lead social media community management
- Plan high-visibility moments, including online events, through the lens of equity, empowering marginalized voices to be heard via national and local platforms
- Manage social media internal and external social media advocacy plan
- Build and manage an internal and external events calendar to list org-wide activity
- Must be an existing college student, or recent college graduate, based in the U.S.
- Influential leadership while engaging youth, staying centered in Gen Z culture
- Demonstrable leadership experience in social justice and/or political causes
- Strong ability to drive communications plans forward to influence social actions
- Highly organized, with a track record of effective project management in school and/or work
- Creative capability to leverage entertaining and innovative solutions to reach new audiences
- Propensity to organize thought leadership and build online community
- Interest in diversity, equity and inclusion social justice communications
- Experience working in communities of color highly preferred
- Bring joy, passion, and good of sense of humor into the work
Compensation for this role is hourly ($15 per hour) and hours may vary from week to week.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
Our Turn encourages individuals of all identities and backgrounds to apply for this position and is committed to recruiting a team that reflects the diversity of our student movement (BIPOC, members of the LGBTQIA community, first generation college students). Our Turn does not discriminate against any applicant for employment because of race, color, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, nation of origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, or parenthood.
HOW TO APPLY
Fill out an application and upload your resume. Applications will be accepted until the position has been filled and reviewed on a rolling basis. Please email [email protected] with any questions or requests for accommodations. We’re happy to help! Please visit Our Turn’s website (www.itsourturn.org) for more information.