Our Turn activates the next generation of diverse civic leaders who know what’s possible for all students because they’ve built power in their communities through leadership development, grassroots organizing, and movement building. In the past few months, our work and members have been recognized by Fast Company, Buzzfeed, The 74 Million, and more. We are hiring a Digital Communications Manager to amplify the stories of our members and help them become savvy digital activists who lead the way toward a more equitable education system. Learn more about our Student Agenda here.
WHY WORK FOR OUR TURN?
We approach our work with the audacity of believing that students have the power to rewrite the rules of education in our country and the humility to know that thousands have come before us in this fight. We know that young people, especially BIPOC young people, have been shut out by decision makers who shape their educational experience and respond by providing transformational leadership development and grassroots organizing experience that flip the traditional power dynamic on its head. Our team is highly collaborative and works with urgency, passion, and — most importantly — a lot of joy. We create intentional spaces to build our relationships and set aside time to celebrate milestones, problem-solve together, or just share our latest Our Turn swag! We are looking for purposeful, entrepreneurial social justice activists to join us and continue the fight for educational equity.
- Execute a results-driven social media and digital content strategy.
- Research current benchmark trends and audience preferences; review analytics and create reports on key metrics, including ROI.
- Collaborate with the Dir. of Communications to create and deliver an earned media strategy.
- Monitor social media channels for industry trends.
- Lead in the development and management of social media marketing and influencer marketing strategy.
- Provide thought leadership in leading digital organizing efforts across all stake-holder groups.
- Train student ambassadors (including key internal staff) in social media strategy and coordination.
- Collaborate with the communications team and staff community organizers to create a social media calendar.
- Increase community engagement through social media.
- Generate, edit, publish, and share engaging content weekly for social media platforms (e.g. original text, graphics, photos, videos, and news) and optimize opportunities to align messaging that is contextually relevant and timely.
- Lead in the creation and editing of written, video, and photo content.
- Collaborate with other departments and teams to ensure brand consistency.
- Communicate with followers, respond to queries in a timely manner, and drive and monitor follower commentary.
- Attend events and produce live social media content.
- Deliver social media influencer/opinion leader engagement and participation to generate an increase in organic growth.
- Develop the social media content strategy 1 month in advance while planning automated posts.
- Demonstrated passion for working in partnership with young people and advancing social justice through organizing.
- Demonstrated ability to build strong relationships with diverse stakeholders and work collaboratively and effectively across lines of difference.
- Alignment with Our Turn’s mission and Student Agenda.
- Must be willing to work flexible hours that will include time outside of the traditional work day and weekends.
- Experience identifying and managing external vendors and project managing their work to ensure organizational needs are met.
- Copywriting skills are a must; demonstrating the ability to capture brand persona/voice and maintain messaging.
- Demonstrated ability to leverage data analytics to inform social media strategy.
- AB Test experience with proven ability to expand current follower base.
- Must exhibit leadership skills as a visionary with the ability to provide a landscape analysis and strategize a plan for expanding Our Turn's digital footprint.
- Experience in managing budgets, reporting ROI, and creating ads across platforms such as SnapChat, Instagram, Twitter, Tik Tok, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct quantitative/qualitative research through polling/surveys to build intel about target audience.
- Must demonstrate a “make it happen” mentality by developing solutions with little guidance.
- Demonstrate ability to lead brand consistency across national social handles and to maintain Brand Standards.
- Proven ability to create and manage viral social media marketing campaigns capturing key moments in the Raise Your Hand movement.
BENEFITS AND COMPENSATION
We believe that supporting, developing, and retaining our team is the most critical investment we can make for achieving bold outcomes. To ensure that our team is prepared and excited to do their job with excellence every day, we offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes: a performance-based culture with generous paid time off; flexible working environment; opportunities for internal and external professional development; health, dental, and vision insurance; retirement plan with an employer match. The salary range for this position is 50-63K.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
Our Turn encourages individuals of all identities and backgrounds to apply for this position and is committed to recruiting a team that reflects the diversity of our student movement (BIPOC, members of the LGBTQIA community, first generation college students). Our Turn does not discriminate against any applicant for employment because of race, color, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, nation of origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, or parenthood.
HOW TO APPLY
Fill out an application via the Our Turn website. You’ll be asked to upload your resume and a writing sample. Applications will be accepted until the position has been filled and the first review of candidates will begin the week of March 1st. Please email [email protected] with any questions or requests for accommodations. We’re happy to help! Please visit Our Turn’s website (www.itsourturn.org) for more information.